Freitag, 30. September 2011

What's the role of online video in the newsroom of the future?



This question is asked by the "Carnival of Journalism", calling other bloggers to answer it. My answer is pretty much linked to videojournalism. 
One of my favorite quotes is to be found on the homepage of the Rosenblum Institute, it says: 

"Small digital video cameras are the gutenberg's printing presses of the 21st century."

A few years ago, I already knew that I wanted to be a journalist, but never thought to be filming on my own. When I started my 2-years-trainee at a regional TV station in Germany, I had to. All the journalists there are shooting videos at the same time (and cutting their footage on their own afterwards). So now I am a videojournalist and I have to say: I love it. I'm aware of the fact that many people think that video journalism also means less quality. But I don't think so. Of course videojournalists are normally both not trained as a professional camera man and a professional cutter. Nevertheless I think they are able to report on a high level. 
In my opinion, this form of journalism will more and more be playing an important role in newsrooms. Not only because of cutting costs but also because of their flexibility and a motto, which is often linked to videojournalism: "Go out and find a story." This motto could then also be realised by people, who are normally not working as journalists, but just found a story that a newspaper/tv station/online medium could be interested in. Videojournalism, in my opinion, isn't just restricted to online publishing, tv stations could also broadcast the work of vjs, some already do.
In general I also think that online video publishing itself will get more and more important, as the audience may not only want to read about some happening, but also see it in a video. So I think in the future newsrooms, online videos won't be something special, but pretty important and common. 
And perhaps, at the same time, the videojournalist will. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen