Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012

The importance of audio in video

As this post is about audio, I decided to record it.  I also added some links in the comments to make it more interactive  - I'd be happy to read (or hear ;) ) your comments.

Before you start: Apologies for me sometimes getting to close to my iPhone, next time I'll know better and avoid the pops. Moreover, my aim for the next podcast (if there should be one in the future...): a better structure -  I'm obviously not very good at that when I'm recording instead of writing. Today's conclusion: I'll never gonna be a radio star. Damn it.



In the end, I just add an interesting comment I found on exposureroom.com, posted by Theo Rossi

"I never watch any video with bad audio."

I think he's not the only one.

5 Kommentare:

  1. Might just be a little radio presenter in you after all. What software did you use to fix the poor sound quality you mentioned?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. with a little trick on Final Cut :) I didn't have background sound on this statement, so I took some from another shot and mashed it up, played a little bit with the volume of both and then it worked out quite well.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Nice one Franzi! I had a similar problem when I moved from print journalism to trying video journalism - I found it really hard not to make a sound when interviewing people. I wanted to let them know that I was interested in what they were saying and nodding doesn't quite do the trick. I like interviewing and then writing stories up because there's more of a conversation and you can tease information out during a discussion. It's so much harder with video or audio, I find. I always explain to the interveiwee that I'll remain silent during the interview for editing reasons - I don't want them to think it's because I'm not interested. It's something I'm still getting used to.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. So you study online journalism with Paul Bradshaw. :) (I am one of his HMI editors, although a very "passive" one these days... :(). Nice experiment here posting an "audio blog" instead of a written one.
    I am with you that it is very difficult not to waffle and go off on a tangent when talking into a mic rather than writing (writing gives you the luxury to plan structure and edit before posting!). You did amazingly well for someone who improvised the talk.
    Your blog post inspired me to try something similar myself. I will keep an eye on your blog for more interesting posts. :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hey,

      many thanks for your comment, happy you liked the post. There are some more posts, but they are now on my new website www.franziskabaehrle.com

      Hope to see you there, too :)

      Löschen