Donnerstag, 3. November 2011

My new hobby: Lightpainting


I just bought my Canon EOS 550D a few months ago. And I love it. I use it for filming and photography. And in both cases, the quality is amazing! So are the possibilities, which I'm still exploring, especially regarding photography, which I just started when I got my camera. In doing so I found something called "light painting". I had seen pictures like that before, but I always thought it would be more of a photoshop than photography work. But it isn't. Lightpainting's a fascinating art of photography - which I had to give a shot. So I started reading tutorials (thank you, world wide web) and realized, that light painting isn't as difficult as I thought. There are a few things you have to think of:

- a tripod

- a light source (for example the flash light of your phone, a torch etc.)

- a camera that allows slow shutter speed

Mostly I'm using a shutter speed of 30 or 60 seconds. After releasing it's time to paint - whatever you want. If you want to include yourself or others, it's not a problem either. It's even possible to take a picture of yourself AND paint whatever you want during this time - so it's not necessary to stand still for 30 seconds, trying not to breathe…
I took the picture you see below on my own, including me painting, moving and even breathing. ;) 
I just released (automatically, so I had a few seconds more to rush in front of the camera), positioned myself and stayed in that position until the flash (a very important tool for that) was released. After that I started to paint immediately. 



Once you're finished it's quite exciting to take a look at your camera and see, if your idea worked out. Lightpainting is a lot of fun and the results you can achieve are really amazing
You'll just have to get used to people watching you and being quite astonished. Which isn't surprising, as light painting is waving a light in front of a camera. How can this sight not be confusing? :)
If you want to try it out, or already did, feel free to post your results here - I'd be happy to exchange experiences, tips and pictures with other lightpainters. 
Well, I just started, and there are a lot of tutorials to read/watch, a lot of pictures to take (with a lot of them not showing the result that I wanted to see). But that's fun.  And I'm already addicted to it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen