Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2012

Why I love video journalism....and why it's not crap.

I've heard it more than once:

- "VJing is a cheap version of journalism and is just existing because   
   of cutting costs"
- "VJs cannot achieve the same quality as others and are unable to 
   cope with filming, interviewing and cutting"
- "video journalism = lower quality" 

Or seen the pitying expressions of the counterpart, saying "I'm sorry you have to go through this on your own". Well, I'm not.


Ok, I might not have a very happy face on this picture, but I'm probably just concentrating. Or cold. Or maybe looking at the TV team filming exactly the same event. But with a staff of seven people. Or this picture was shot right after that awkward moment when the report asked me where my sound assistant was. That's me. I'm the sound assistant. I'm the videographer. I'm the reporter. I'm the cutter. And I love it. 


It's just great to sit in front of your finished report, knowing that you did it all on your own. But first of all I even love every step of it. I love researching a topic, thinking about ways to realize it in a video, I like to speak to and interview people, get to know more about them and about certain stories. I'm passionate about filming and I like to think about which shots may be best to tell the story and are also nice to look at. And cutting (especially your own shots) is simply fun.

So being a VJ sounds like the perfect job for me. Although it was more a coincident that I became one. I applied for a trainee at a local TV station in Germany, aiming to be a TV reporter one day. However I was told that this station was only working with video journalists.
My first thoughts: "Never heard of that before. Sounds good. Go for it."
Right decision.
Still, since then I always heard voices saying what I mentioned above, to sum it up: "video journalism is worth less".

And that's just wrong.

Right, a lot of VJs are not professionally trained camera men or cutter. And yes, a VJ has to film and interview at the same time. He's an all rounder and has to coordinate and think of quite a few things. So many people think there's less quality, as a VJ couldn't fully concentrate on one thing during his training or the actual shoot.
It is right that it's a "shared concentration" you're working with. But all this doesn't mean that you cannot produce a good piece of journalism. You can keep an eye on your camera, hold the microphone in your hands, ask questions and listen to the answers. Even without looking weird. It's simply practice. But it is all about practice, isn't it? Same with shooting and cutting. Practice. 


And yes, I'll never know as much as a professional camera man or cutter does. But nevertheless I'm not automatically barred from the ability to produce a qualitative piece of journalism on video on my own. And I'm really sick of being reduced to a consequence of cutting costs or an example of low quality journalism. Stop it. That's not who we are.

I even think video journalism has some advantages:

- being in charge of everything can have a positive influence on the finished report:

YOU have got your story in mind and that's why often YOU might be the best one to actually shoot and cut it. Someone else may sometimes not understand exactly which pictures or cuts you got in mind.

- a VJ is more flexible, especially with a small video camera (like this one, if anyone fancies sponsoring me....)




- I heard quite a few people I interviewed saying that they felt more comfortable with just me and not a whole TV team, so they could speak to me much easier and were less nervous

There's only one thing I don't like sometimes: sometimes I really wished to have a teammate. But being a video journalist doesn't mean you always have to work on your own. Back in Germany I worked on a series of reports with my friend and colleague Josefine Martl.
The topic was "extraordinary hobbies", we finished 5 reports (No. 1,2,3,4,5) and: Each of us filmed and we did the cutting and texting as teamwork. This was the probably the best experience I had in my two-year trainee. It was exciting, it was pure fun and enjoyment and: we learned a lot and even won a local television award in the category "budding journalists".  

Maybe I forgot some points at the moment. I'd be happy if others would share their thoughts - of course also those who aren't fans of video journalism. I'm ready to start a discussion. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen